Dedimania forum

Feel free to express yourself on your favorite dedicated related tool.

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-05 19:38:31

Xymph
xymph
Website

Require replays on TMF?

moron12, please don't bury an off-topic question in a heated discussion.

moron12 wrote:

i wish there were ghost saving for tmu/tmnf , like in TMĀ² would have saved a lot. it is worth it or possible to implement that?

Difficult, as it would require all TMF server controllers to add support for it, but most are no longer actively developed. And it would require all server admins to upgrade, which is problematic too, especially for those using all-in-one solutions like usbTMFserver or TMSiaB.

And lastly, Dedi TMStats supports not only TMF but also TMN/TMS/TMO, for which the dedicated server cannot generate the necessary replays (well, not ghost replays, only validation ones but that would suffice I guess). Granted, cheating is only really a problem on TMF, but on the Dedi master server end it might be more complicated to distinguish between them - or maybe not.

So, hmm, I dunno. Slig, what do you think? Since XAseco and FAST3 cover nearly the entire server controller "market" on Dedimania1, if we do release updates with replay support and then declare all older versions obsolete, admins wouldn't like being forced to upgrade but we'd make a big step in dealing with cheaters.

#2 2013-03-05 20:09:14

TX-Slig
slig
Fast author / Dedimania maintainer
Website

Re: Require replays on TMF?

xymph wrote:

So, hmm, I dunno. Slig, what do you think? Since XAseco and FAST3 cover nearly the entire server controller "market" on Dedimania1, if we do release updates with replay support and then declare all older versions obsolete, admins wouldn't like being forced to upgrade but we'd make a big step in dealing with cheaters.

Yes, i think that i will finally do it, the best reason being that cheats would become easier to hunt, and if I wait that you become too bored to continue to check cheats like it is actually, things would become very difficult for me  wink

Best would be to have it available then give about 3 monthes to change (for other controllers devs and for servers admins), then forbid older scripts versions.

#3 2013-03-05 21:18:52

Sle7in.
moron12

srry xymph, but as you know i am pretty bored of those cheaters and i could bet you are even more sick of them:P
But it would be the best option here and TMNF/TMU will stay alive. It would save you those discussions we just had in the other thread.(btw is there any chance to pm you?)

#4 2013-03-05 21:21:22

Xymph
xymph
Website

slig wrote:

xymph wrote:

Yes, i think that i will finally do it, the best reason being that cheats would become easier to hunt, and if I wait that you become too bored to continue to check cheats like it is actually, things would become very difficult for me  wink

bored -> burned out, more likely. neutral

slig wrote:

Best would be to have it available then give about 3 monthes to change (for other controllers devs and for servers admins), then forbid older scripts versions.

Okay. Well, as you know I wasn't really planning on making another X1 release, but for this I'll obviously make an exception.

But there is one caveat with the replays: the batch validate option of the TMF client is broken, just like it still is in TM2. That one might eventually get fixed as per my exchange with xbx, but TMF is very very unlikely to get updated ever again.

So there still needs to be a process to check for strange sectors and finish times before someone should make the effort of manually validating individual replays. Although crowd-validating by other players may well become valuable assistance.

#5 2013-03-05 21:24:31

Xymph
xymph
Website

moron12 wrote:

srry xymph, but as you know i am pretty bored of those cheaters and i could bet you are even more sick of them

It's not the most enjoyable use of my spare time, that's true.

moron12 wrote:

But it would be the best option here and TMNF/TMU will stay alive. It would save you those discussions we just had in the other thread.

Right.

moron12 wrote:

(btw is there any chance to pm you?)

You can email me, my address is everywhere. wink But only if it's about something important that should not be public. Reporting and discussing cheaters should remain public, and I have no time for unimportant things. smile

#6 2013-04-22 22:43:49

Sle7in.
moron12

so anything new about that ? or is dedimania2 still keeping you busy? just checking tho big_smile

#7 2013-04-22 23:22:15

Xymph
xymph
Website

moron12 wrote:

so anything new about that ? or is dedimania2 still keeping you busy?

Still on our to-do lists.

#8 2013-04-22 23:37:16

Sle7in.
moron12

xymph wrote:

moron12 wrote:

so anything new about that ? or is dedimania2 still keeping you busy?

Still on our to-do lists.

thumbs up! thx

#9 2014-04-05 18:30:35

Sle7in.
moron12

i guess with tm2 and all that this ain't gonna happen right? still like tmnf more than the new one :S hope you guys will find the time for this

#10 2014-04-05 21:30:34

Xymph
xymph
Website

moron12 wrote:

i guess with tm2 and all that this ain't gonna happen right? still like tmnf more than the new one :S hope you guys will find the time for this

TM2 has nothing to do with it; lack of time, energy and motivation everything. Life goes on...

Board footer